View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Cardinals kick field goal instead of going for TD, WTF!!!!

there was a thread awhile back by a 2+2'er who is better known as being an assistant coach at James Madison even though he's wheelchair confined. He linked to an article about himself on espn.com
I think it was over a year ago.
Since he plays poker and should have some understanding of EV and the math, etc I would be curious what a guy like him thinks of this.

I really believe that a pseudo-saber type movement on these kind of football decisions will appear at some point.
It's just too obvious to too many of us idiots for it not to.

But then you get bone-heads like Joe Morgan seriously believing that a guy who is in an 0-for-40 slump is now more likely to get a base-hit because "he's due" and then I absolutely know I could play blackjack with a coach or player and they would be all concerned about the last guy's decision because he doesn't want him to "take the dealer's bust-card" so sometimes I'm not so sure that actual reason and logic will prevail in all this sillyness.

I've personally known a couple of D1 head-coaches. Not especially well but I had some familiarity with their personalities and how they think.
I can imagine sitting one of them down and actually having a slim chance that he might get what I'm saying if I explained the 4th and goal type situation or the 'go for 2' when you are down by 14 and score a TD that we've discussed before.

The other one I'm pretty sure would just look at me funny and not get it at all although I still think it's possible even for him.

Unfortunately, both of these coaches that I'm thinking of are now dead so it seems likely that I'm not going to be the one to get to try.