View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Raise/limp AK, AQ, AJ?

I would always raise all of those hands preflop from any position except AJo, which I usually don’t raise from the SB or BB when there are lots of limpers already in the pot.

When you miss the flop, the short answer is it depends. It depends on the texture of the flop, how many opponents you have, whether your opponents are tight, your position, your table image, and probably other factors.

If you c-bet the flop, you are representing a big pocket pair. In most B&M 3/6 they won’t believe you and will call you down anyway. Even if you fold the turn unimproved, this c-bet may generate more action when you do have a big pocket pair or when you have raised with something like 99. In most B&M 3/6 games, you are not going to bluff people out of the pot with an unimproved AK.

In general I tend to c-bet more from late position and check more from early position. The c-bet from late position will sometimes allow you to take a free card on the turn. Assuming you have 2 overcards to the flop, you may have 6 outs and you only need 6 or 7 to one odds to justify peeling the flop, which you will generally have if you raised pre-flop and got 4-5 callers. The problem is top pair will frequently lose to two pair or better in these games, so you need to discount your outs. I usually figure 2 overcards are worth 3 or 4 outs. You also need to discount your outs if some of them could make a flush or straight for someone else. If another player is first to bet at the flop, then it depends on reads on that player. Don’t forget to include all your outs, such as gut shot straight draws or back door flush draws. They should make it more likely you will peel the flop.

If I do not improve on the turn, I don’t usually bet or call again, unless I have a flush/straight draw. If I am in late position, I will take a free card when I can. If lots of people called on the flop, then the pot may be big enough to justify a call if you really had 6 outs. On the other hand, the more people called on the flop, the less likely top pair is going to be good enough to win.