View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Official Illinois has more wins than Michigan and ND combined thre

Keep the faith Trolly, this Teddy Greenstein article in today's Trib puts the Illini at a (very scientific) 75% to crack the BCS.

But I have to say, and I might be alone on this one, but I'm starting to lean away from rooting for a Rose Bowl bid. I do understand how the Rose is what all Big Ten teams hope for, the parade, the blah blah, the grandpappy...but just for the sake of argument:

Scenario #1: Illini sneak into the Rose Bowl (getting picked over a BCS#3 Georgia, pissing off legions of anti-Big 10 people off who are already pissy), and once there the Illini have to play a peaking USC team with a real possibility of getting trounced (further ammunition for Big Ten haters).

Scenario #2: Play Kansas in the Fiesta Bowl (very winnable, tons of upside) or Florida in the Capital One (very fun, guaranteed zookgasm).

...I guess I like #2, but I do understand how that's Rose Bowl blasphemy, and obviously I'd be super thrilled if either of the above works out. And the best case scenario would be their beating USC so maybe I just need to grow a pair.