View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Land lord is jacking my deposit!

[ QUOTE ]
I've thoguht land lord couldnt just throw you out like that though. Like they had to go to court and get paperwork for it, etc.

Electric/gas company cant cut u off in winter or something, amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]

first part may be somwhat correct. second part likely wrong many places, or possibly irrelevant to the discussion.

the part people miss on the "f the landlord" part is they end up owing more money in many instances.
if tenants want to be deadbeats who intend to never pay anything- by all means do whatever you think you can to screw the landlord. but i think they miss the long term costs and consequences of it.

I'm not saying you are that- I'm saying that many of the responses in the thread don't bother considering it.

Write the landlord a letter disputing the charges she told you about and why. send it some form of registered mail and keep copies.
That's the basic advice. Be polite and direct about it.
A landlord is more likely to deal with someone who isn't way out of line than they are someone swearing up a storm and threatening things.

She's either a reasonable person or she isn't. If not, you probably don't help your chances of a reasonable outcome by being a dick in return.
If she is reasonable, you can only help by being civil.

Also consider some sort of compromise. There is a point at which it's probably not worth your or her time to debate some amount of money.

I'm not going to get into specific advice about stuff because I'm not a lawyer.

I do however deal with tenants daily.

Keep the dialogue open.

edit: last and maybe most important... next time don't agree to ridiculous clauses like the guest clause, and if she says she will waive them or modify them, get it written into the lease or get her to write it somewhere on paper for you.