View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to link you to another post in this thread that addresses the very points you make.

here

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that if you really truly just empower the doctors to make the call on prescriptions, anyone will still be able to get any pill they like, because many doctors will run their practice as a revolving door for any drug. There is no way around this, if the doctors hold the power.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree completely with this, you are saying that putting drugs in the hands of medical experts would result in a distribution of drugs that is no different than letting people self-prescribe?

Your argument hinges on this on assumption (you are saying doctors are corrupt -> they need oversight -> oversight is done by medical non-professionals -> whats the point of doctors) yet you take this as a simple fact with little explanation.

I might add that I'm not just talking about controlled drugs. Unregulated controlled drugs like narcotics/benzos might be corruptive to some prescribers if left solely to their discretion

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I can prove that I'm right, as evidenced by the fact that the DEA spends a lot of time and resources hunting doctors they think are simply giving away pain pill prescriptions. If you don't provide government oversight of the doctors, then anyone will get any drug they want at any time, because many doctors will set up a practice that gives you any prescription you like no questions asked. In other words, it's not possible to achieve what you think the prescription system is supposed to achieve, namely making sure that only trained medical professionals are allowed to make the decision about drug use. It turns out that untrained laymen are making the decisions, which is no better than making your own decisions. In fact, these untrained laymen often IGNORE the advice of doctors, when you yourself are probably going to actually get some advice before buying the drugs you think you need.

[ QUOTE ]
, but some people in this thread have argued for getting rid of the prescription system completely. And while I lean libertarian, I think that is a ridiculous stance to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why?

natedogg