View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, Capone did gun down seven people with automatic weapons with their backs turned,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he did... all because they were causing problems for his blackmarket alcohol empire! Those seven people were killed by Prohibition. Al merely pulled the trigger. There is little question in my mind that the murder rate today is at least double what it would be if we didn't have the War on Drugs. Let alone the rate of thefts, muggings, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've said, I'm against the war on drugs. I was addressing an earlier point, which is the basic mentality of people involved in that business.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but lets work under the assumption that Bootlegging is a business, just like any other. Have you ever gunned someone down for getting in the way of your business dealings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bootlegging is NOT a business just like any other. It's a BLACK MARKET BUSINESS.

As such, the participants in it are EXCLUDED from the "legitimate" state-provided dispute resolution mechanisms. Have you ever seen a drug dealer sue another for breach of contract?

Once they are shut out of the semi-monopolized (e.g. heavily subsidized) dispute resolution channel, violence becomes a much more attractive choice.