View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Why Im no longer an ACist

[ QUOTE ]
1)If you say ACists are in favor of slightly coercing some ppl to reduce the coercion of poor kids then nvm my critique.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling it "in favor of" is way too strong. Maybe "don't care so much about". We would definitely rather get the government out and we definitely think that things would be handled better without the government and things would improve. My point was that you calling ACists "uncaring" about this is just plain false.

[ QUOTE ]
not everyone has the time to go through a lenghty consumer report

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. I was merely pointing out an organization that does this, not that it would be exactly like that. Most likely things would get to a point where products would advertise as "Consumer Reports approved"! And put that kind of thing on their label, etc. You don't need details if you don't want them, just an organization you trust to say "yes, this is a good product". Currently people trust the government for that even though the government has a horrible track record and also fails to work for everyone beause everyone has different standards. The thing is that you wouldn't have to research every item, you'd just have to research the organizations approving items. Even that's an exaggeration as it's really a matter of just having enough people researching these groups and paying enough attention that the companies want to make sure they're getting these people's money.

Anyway, even if you're skeptical that this would work, it's not like it would just happen over night. Personally, if we do get AC "somewhere" it would be a test situation and not the entire world at once, so even if it fails, it's not like the whole world is going to go into chaos, so what have we really got to lose? Everyone who's anti AC makes out like "OMG, when this element of AC fails the world is going to explode!!!!" when these things would be tested in much more controlled environments before being adopted by people as a whole.

[ QUOTE ]
3)The point is that I think that issue will almost certainly be a deal-breaker if it doesnt get down to violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are certainly valid arguments for why anarchy might be technically impossible due to the property thing, but even if there end up being ultra minarchist countries that exist solely for the purpose of regulating property rights, it's basically the same thing.