View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: My Hall of Fame Ballot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you think my posts indicate my HOF ballot would be based solely on what others' ballots, you'd be a goddamn moron.

If I'm objectively wrong about Rice being a better player, that's okay, it's a ballot, not a Sagarin ranking, and you'd be a goddamn moron as it pertains to the concept of a ballot in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain what he is trying to say here?

Mondo,
Lets say you have two players they play 10 years at the exact same level, one plays 4 more years at league average.
Is one player a better HOF candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am trying to say here is, I stated who I would vote for on this year's ballot (Rice & Gossage). Someone who disagrees with me based on my lack of vote for Raines would rather be insulting and verbally abusive of someone who chooses to vote differently. That person clearly fails to understand the concept that an election is not simply based on extracting a few compound stats from a computer and mandating a selection based on those, but rather, an election is based on people's opinions of who is deserving.

I simply stated that I feel Rice merits induction more than Raines, and I stated the criteria I was using for making that determination whether or not that criteria is objectively correct, or merely subjective. Unlike a couple of trolls here, I wouldn't insult anyone for listing Raines on their ballot. Nor would I call a poster names for either being objectively wrong about something, or having an opinion that differs from my own.

That is what I'm saying.

But then, the trolls aren't slinging mud at anyone else who didn't list Raines on their ballot, so the question you might be asking is, why not.

IMHO, I don't think playing at league average enhances one's candidacy, if that comes in your, say, early-to-mid 30s. So no, I don't think that makes one a better candidate than the other. Maybe, just maybe, slightly so. More so if those league-average years are at ages 36-39.