View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: My Hall of Fame Ballot

[ QUOTE ]
Are you mentally unable to make the distinction between who should make the HOF and who will make the HOF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you mentally unable to make the distinction between a poster stating who they would vote for induction into the HOF and a somewhat esoteric mathematical calculation of who's the better player?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you contending that there's criteria other than who was the best player in determining who should make the HOF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you contending that the only qualification for the HOF is who has the higher OPS+ or VORP over the length of their career? If that's your contention, then ballots are unnecessary, only a computer ranking and a cold hard numbers cutoff are needed.

[ QUOTE ]
If you asked Bill James who he thinks should make the HOF, Tim Raines of Jim Rice, what would he say?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill James would probably say that Tim Raines should make the HOF. Why don't you ask him to post his ballot in this thread. That's his ballot to fill out, not mine. I don't think Tim Raines is a HOFer.

Why? Because I don't think he was ever among the very elite when compared to his peers (except for possibly a 2-3 year stretch, when he still wasn't better than Rickey Henderson). Why was he only even anywhere in the top 10 in MVP voting three times in his career? I think that Rice, during the prime of his career, was a more dominant player compared to his peers, than Raines was.

In fact, I think there's certainly people in the hall now who don't merit inclusion, but that's an entirely different discussion that I'm not going to go into in this thread.

Of course, while you continue to berate others for having opinions that diverge from your own, the truth is, your disparagement of others is about as relevant as your opinion of who the better player is, when it comes to actual HOF voting.