View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: photography buffs, help me buy a DSLR camera

[ QUOTE ]
1) Lenses - How concerned should I be about the stock lenses? Should I go ahead and buy a better lens right out of the gate or learn with the stock lense first?

[/ QUOTE ]In general, the "kit" lenses aren't as good as aftermarket lenses. However, Canon just introduced a new lens, the 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS, which is being touted in reviews as being among the highest quality lenses for Canon. I don't know if the XTi will be sold in a kit with the new lens, but it will be less than $200.

Also, while the kit lens isn't as good, it is still a pretty good lens. I just printed out an 8x10 using the kit lens and it looks just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
2) zoom - My current point and shoot has 10X optical zoom. What is the equivalent zoom on an SLR lens?

[/ QUOTE ]The S3 has a lens equivalent to a 36-412 lens in 35 mm format.

[ QUOTE ]
3) in general, what should I be looking out for?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, look for how they feel in your hand. Since you're a Canon user, you might be more used to the Canon system so it should be easier for you to learn the Canon than the Nikon.

Personally, I'm a Canon shooter and will always recommend Canon over Nikon. But in reality, you can't go wrong with either pick.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what has changed? the cameras you are considering all more than a year old.

[/ QUOTE ]

no they're not. D40x and XTi are new versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The XTi is a new version, but it is more than a year old (introduced August 2006, reviewed in October 2006.)