View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Should presidential campaign promises be enforceable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are. They're enforceable every four years. Ask Bush Sr.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Anyone who doesn't take campaign rhetoric with a gigantic grain of salt is a fool. Even those things that a candidate genuinely believes and genuinely wants to do, some are simply out of their control and some the facts and circumstances change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an awesome system you've got cooking there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you proposing something where a candidate can't take into account changing circumstances or one where president's are given more power so that they can fulfill their promises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, the ever popular third option: less promises. When I promise someone I will do something, I dont sit around and fret about how I've just limited myself to take future information into account or how I will need to usurp greater power (maybe pray or roll around in radioactive sludge?) in order to follow through. I simply make promises I know I can keep. Sometimes its even difficult to keep them.

There might even be more than 3 options, my imagination isnt that great, but there are certainly more than the dichotomous choice you've laid out here.