View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

CMI, good post, appreciate the effort. Those were definitely some hefty articles you linked though, but they seem to indicate a slight decrease in the number of drunk accidents and fatalities (yayyy) vs. a ridiculous increase in the number of arrests (NOOOO). This "by any means necessary" anti-drunk driving legislation is going way overboard, and goes against so many fundamental principles of our criminal justice system. With regards to sentencing and decreasing crime, it's easy to be hard, but it's hard to be smart. These new laws just see like a short-sighted effort to arbitrarily reduce drunk-driving numbers, the hell with the other consequences, both social and criminal.

In all reality, what do you think would happen if we raised the legal limit to either .10 or .12? I'm convinced that we would see a very limited change in the number of accidents and deaths, but a huge change in the number of arrests. Could you find any statistics that factored in BAC with number of crashes and deaths? I.E. x% of alcohol-related deaths involved a driver with a BAC between y and z?