View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

el d,

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no wonder Ethiopians are starving w/ that crap for food.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

el edfurlong,

[ QUOTE ]

My mom used to take me to Blue Nile in Berkeley when I was a kid. God it was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had heard rumors that Blue Nile had closed. sadly, these rumors appear to be true:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/QFJCpzOOEjZRRKLJwvSV4g

double [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

el garcia,

[ QUOTE ]
This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks? Bread? Spaghetti? The best designed would be a spork and knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

people keep using Steak as a counter-example to the utility of chopsticks, but steak is in fact so specialized that your garden variety fork-and-knife are inadequate for the task of eating it. this is why the (aptly-named) steak knife was invented.

you eat bread with any utensils at all? really? please explain. maybe one of your frog characters could demonstrate visually? perhaps you (garcia) have no mouth?

spaghetti ~= chow mein or udon noodles, so yes, chopsticks are fine for spaghetti.

splashpot,

good story.

oski,

lol.

los spoon eaters,

i'm pretty sure all of you are just bonkers.

los chopstick haters at large,

i will agree that if i had to pick one set of utensils to use for the rest of my meals on earth, i would pick the western complement of fork/knife/spoon (or spork, i guess, if you put a gun to my head). but isn't there fundamental truth to the old maxim, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"?

i learned to use chopsticks because i was tired of being That White Guy who goes to asian restaraunts and can't eat like i'm supposed to. i had nightmares and cold sweats about visiting Japan and having to ask over and over, "fo-ku to nai-fu arimasen-ka?". i mean, i didn't fly 5000 miles to order macaroni & cheese.

for me, food is one of the foundations of culture, and using the traditional implements to eat that food is part of enjoying that cultural experience to the fullest.