View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Ask me about financial success to spending 2 years state prison

eld,

I will try to give you examples of what I am talking about. The da originally thought my office was involved with taking payoffs to recommend stocks. Definitely illegal. After 6 months of investigating they finally relented on it, instead they indicted us what should have been viewed as sales practice violations at the very worst.

**edit** And our lawyers constantly tried to explain this to the DA, before I was indicted.

Some of the things I am talking about is brokers being paid part of the spread b/w the bid and offer, the broker not disclosing the risks involved with each recommendation, using pitches to open new accounts, etc...These things were all done in EVERY retail investment firm in the industry

Under a NY criminal law it is illegal not disclose all the risks that a reasonable investor would want to know. It was originally intended to go after art and coin dealers who were selling copies of expensive originals over the phone, then defended themselves by saying "I never said it was an original". The da used that law on us saying that a reasonable investor would want to know if a broker was getting an extr 1/4 to recommend a stock, or even that a company's debt/equity ratio was growing.

Their was a shower room with three heads in each house, you could take them every day at certain hours. One would try to schedule themselves when it was not so crowded. Unless it was a rush time (before a visit), usually there would be at most 2 people in there leaving one head as a buffer. You were not allowed to look in the direction of another's "junk" on penalty of death (close to literal).

I dont think there was a cap on how much money you could get in (all held by the facility), but you could only spend a set amount. Commissary was 2x/month with a $55 cap. You could also order clothes, toiletries, music,etc,=..from mail order as long as no item was over $50.