View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: AA - Comments please

Question for OP: Why the minraise?

If the answer is "because it will build the pot, give me a good SPR and keep villain in the hand with a miserable hand which he might stack off with because his stack is so short" then the minraise is good.

If it was because you saw AA and though "I want action and I don't want him to fold", then your reasoning was flawed.

I think the minraise is fine here because it accomplishes everything a larger raise does (forces villain to commit his entire effective stack with a weak hand on the flop) while avoiding the drawbacks of a larger raise (which is that you are essentially telling villain you want to play for stacks). If villain has a hand he's willing to play for stacks with, the result will be the same no matter what the hand. If he has a hand like KJ, though, you'll get more value by minraising. Though to be honest, probably a 1.5 raise would be a little better because he's going to still call with most of his hands and it'll be a little easier to get stacks in when he makes a 2nd best hand.

For the people saying that a minraise allowed KJ to draw out on you, KJ is getting nowhere near the odds to call against AA with these stack sizes even with a minraise. And what is KJ going to do when he flops top pair? So yeah, he'll get your stack the fraction of the times that he flops two pair or trips, but the times he flops top pair, and sometimes even middle pair, you'll get his stack.

As for set mining, this really isn't an issue at this point. Yes you will stack off if he has a pair and hits his set and he will not have made a mistake. However, there are so many other hands in his range from which you can get value by minraising, sets should not be the main concern.

As played, on the flop it's time to start building. Bet 2/3 the pot and force him to commit. Get the chips in the middle. Either he has a hand he's willing to commit with or he doesn't. With an SPR of 4 you should be happy enough to get it in.