View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
I know the Ferentz hire obviously isn't anywhere near confirmed, but if it becomes official, I'm going to have a hard time preventing myself from vomiting when that narrative rears its ugly head, and provides all the Lloyd and Bill Martin apologists a justification and defense for taking all of 6 days to hire a guy who's 11-13 in the Big Ten since 2005: "but he'll run a clean program" and "he's so classy, just like Lloyd" they'll all say. And when we're 8-4 year after year and headed to the Outback and Alamo Bowl, the "clean program" and "classy guy" narrative will give never-ending cover for continued stagnation, complacency, and mediocrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. As you mentioned, we are way behind OSU right now, with next year looking like a repeat of '68 or '84 when we are going to be spanked. We really need a home run, not a sacrifice bunt. If our top 3 or 4 choices turned us down, then Ferentz is a respectable fall back. But no way in hell should he be our top choice.

The financials will be interesting if this is true. I cannot imagine we'd match his Iowa contract. Does anybody know how many years he has left on that deal?