View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: photography buffs, help me buy a DSLR camera

[ QUOTE ]
I chose the Nikon D80 over the D40 because of lens compatability - I have a significant investment in Nikor lenses that would not work on the D40.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my only real problem with the Nikon. Apparently, there is no auto-focus inside the body of the camera. That means that every lens you ever use with this camera must have an auto-focus built into the lens. I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem in the future.

Other than that, I'm leaning towards the Nikon. I like the way the camera feels better and it seems to focus a little faster.

Does anyone have any insight into the zoom question in my OP?

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that Canon lenses are better

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that same thing. But I also read in more than 1 place that the lens that comes standard with the XTi (I know you said you got the XT) sucks. I'm worried about having to drop another $500 on a lens a month after I buy the camera.

To be fair, I probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference. I'm starting to notice a lot of comments on these cameras from pros and amatuers since both of them use these lower end SLRs quite extensively. Obviously, things that pros hate are not even going to be noticed by the more casual photographer. That makes it kind of tough to sift through the comments/reviews to figure out which complaints are a big deal and which aren't.