View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: \"The Mist\" imo will be awesome

Awww [censored].... CDS was right. The ending is atrocious.

SPOILERS!!!!

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie until the last 10 minutes. Initially I was a little worried because when we first see the tentacles slither under the garage door the CGI wasn't blending well with the live action. I was relieved when this improved in later scenes.

Some have complained that the acting wasn't very good but I didn't have a problem with it. Thomas Jane isn't Russell Crowe but he gets the job done... mostly.

There is a clear point when this movie should have ended but it didn't and everything that comes before it is tainted because of this fact. I would have been fine with ambiguity but this new ending feels like a different movie. David Drayton is a take action kind of guy so that he does what he does after he inexplicably lets his vehicle run out of gas seems impossible to me. Drayton is to me the kind of guy who would rather risk his life siphoning gas or jumping from vehicle to vehicle before allowing it to come to this.

There were two points in the movie where a strong reaction was elicited from the crowd. First - there was wild cheering when Mrs. Carmody takes one between the eyes (which was kind of cool since that type of audience reaction is rare in our theatres). Second - it was hard to gauge the reaction after Drayton fires the pistol four times. The theatre was silent so I couldn't tell if people were shocked or just wondering wtf? But when the tank emerged from the mist it was all groans and snickering. I mentioned that I thought Jane's acting was fine for most of this movie but now was the exception. When he started wailing the groans and snickering were replaced with laughter.

It's bad, folks. It's Tom Cruise's son turning up safe in Boston bad.