View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Deep home game play - flopped low end straight

Howdy y'all, making my virginal post on your fine forum. I played a pretty wild hand the other night and I'd like to get some feedback on it, if you would. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Situation: Home game that I've never played at before, .25/.50 blinds, 5 handed, deep stacks (~200BB average), crazy loose game so far.

I'm on button w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and $100, everyone limps to me, I call.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], $2.50. SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $2, UTG+1 (Villain) raises to $6, I bang it to $20 expecting to end the hand right there. Actions folds back around to Villain who pretty quickly calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], $44.50. Villain bets $10 and I hate him for it. His body language and mannerism are confident but it strangely doesn't really feel like a value bet. I grudgingly call.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], $64.50. Villain bets $20. I agonize and finally fold. VILLAIN SHOWS 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] FOR A RIVERED FLUSH and comments that there was no way he was folding with a straight flush draw on the flop... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

My thoughts: I felt like I had the best hand on the flop and had I been playing short (say, 50BB), I would have just shoved. People in this game were playing just about any draw for any price and I really felt like I needed to just shut down the action. Once villain called my large raise, I was pretty much putting him on 67 for the upper end of the straight... On the turn, his bet was just too small for me to fold but I was fearful of sticking in another fat raise if he did have the nut straight - 67 was ABSOLUTELY in his range of hands here... The fold on the river was probably a mistake with the 4-1 odds offered to my call, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was beat here...

At this point I'll open it up to the floor for commentary. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (And incidentally, how bad was Villain's flush draw play here - I could have EASILY had a way better flush draw and his straight draw wasn't even all that strong...)