View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]
A society without government would definitely have some sort of a group that certifies doctors in some way. In that society whoever sold codeine would probably prioritize how they distributed their codeine on what kind of condition you had, which you could prove by showing them a slip from your certified doctor. Kind of like the prescription system, only drugs aren't arbitrarily declared "illegal" for certain people to possess, and you can't get sentenced to decades in prison for some pills in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a governmentless society is neccesary to achieve what you wrote above; a more accurate interpretation of the Constitution would do a great deal in arriving at those results. In fact, a governmentless society (I'll assume AC, as per the nature of this forum) might make important drugs even harder to get, as pharmecutical monopolies would be able to form (and yes, I've read that AC FAQ in the sticky, and I disagree with the assertion that monopolies cannot exist without government, maybe this deserves its own thread)

Your other examples aren't really key-to-survival things. But lets say we ran out of fertilizer, no, I wouldn't say the NFL should have dibs, but farmers should probably get fertilizers first. My lawn might start looking bad, but I'd prefer that to not having food/having food prices jacked up.

Disclaimer: I havn't truly thought out what I am writing, I reserve the right to consider future arguments and change my posistion, an action almost unheard of on an internet forum.