View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Philosophical Question about Consciousness

[ QUOTE ]
I think the process by which consciousness evolves in a growing embryo/infant is a biological question not a philosophical one.

[/ QUOTE ]
fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I don’t understand; the sentence does not mean anything to me, urgently need definition of reincarnated.

[/ QUOTE ]

reincarnated: born anew in another body.

what makes these contrasting sentences "philosophies," as opposed to (true or false) statement of fact, is that they are two ways of thinking about the exact same thing.

from the biological perspective of your biological self - when you are dead everything is over.

from an outside perpective, the process that defines "you" continues with or without you. your consciousness was created by the process of the world, and that process will create more consciousness regardless of whether or not "you" exist. "you" isn't even real (to an outside observer). it is an abstract idea that a body applies to itself in a given moment to better accomplish its biological mission. a body's memory serves to aid it's logic, and in doing so gives the ever-changing body the illusion that it is one persistent entity.

it doesn't matter whether another body labels itself "you" or something else - its just another manifestation of the same process that "you" are part of.