View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: OC and possible filled straight on river

Your thought process is fine right up to the point where you remove any combos that have an ace or ten in them. You've also removed 22-66 for some reason, hands like T8/98/76 (a pair plus), and you don't have any Qx hands except QT, although you say they limp Qxs (Q9 is a possiblity, as is Q8s in any suit that matches the board, etc.).

In short, you seem to be falling victim to one of the Ten Classic Blunders, the most well-known of which is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slight less important is this: "Don't reduce your opponent's hand-range to only either those hands that you beat or those hands that beat you."

I haven't done a strict analysis on this particular hand, but the fact that you've narrowed it down to where you're nearly a 2:1 underdog on the river is ridonkulous. If you want to say that you're check/calling a) to induce a bluff or b) because they won't call a bet with missed OCs, etc, is one thing; I don't think it's a RIGHT thing, but at least you're not being weak-tight. Saying, "I'm not going to bet because I think there's only a 30% chance I have the best hand," is horribly weak-tight.