View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: David Wright got screwed

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Conlin is a moron, and is a perfect example of how I picture the majority of sportswriters to be like.

vhawk,

I'm not digging your peformace:contract idea. As others said, reserve/arbitration players would always win, and even if you were able to account for that fairly, you're punishing guys who go out and get the best contract available. It would be unfair to punish A-Rod if he had swindled someone into giving him a $40m/year contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it be any more unfair than punishing a guy for taking a big deal with a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs? Or punishing a guy for remaining loyal to his small-market team that developed him and that has little chance to make the playoffs?

There are always going to be limitations and people who get penalized. At least in this scenario, we are penalizing guys who actually ARE doing something that hurts their team. Signing for an extra ten million really does hurt the team. DISCLAIMER: Not that I am ripping on these guys for getting every single penny, this isnt a bad thing, I'm just saying it clearly hurts the team more than working for peanuts would.