View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Australian Elections Results

I'm not an expert on US politics. But the main differences lie in the degree of corruption, the restraining force of parliament and the current state of Australian society.

Australian society currently has:

- A ridiculously high minimum wage ($13/hr = ~$11 US)
- Enforced employer paid contributions to superannuation of 9%
- Free education for all who want it (with a token loans scheme)
- Holiday leave loading, generous sick days and other worker entitlements
- Otherwise strong employee protection that goes to point of being economically harmful and overly restrictive on the choices of entrepreneurs
- Free health care for all, which is getting strained with an ageing population
- A relatively large government and high taxation
- Universal social security benefits which people used to bludge off under a labor government.

All of these things are, imo, much too far to the left for Australia to remain prosperous in a global economy and a long way from a streamlined and free society.

The US on the other hand has a great deal more wealth and population and some serious social justice issues which have massive hidden economic and human costs. I think the Democrats are the only way to correct these issues.

On top of that, as mentioned earlier, a parliamentary systems tends to have a socializing effect on policy. A lot of the more cutting edge reforms by the conservative government were blocked or watered down by the Senate in Australia. In contrast, I think the presidential/senate power system is far more prone to influence by big business.

And then there's the issue of corruption. I think business in the US is significantly more corrupt, immoral, greedy and dangerous than in Australia, and simply needs more government control to keep it in line. There is a less of a sense of community and doing the right thing. Add to this the loonies which hijack the republican party with their religious agendas and I think the US is better served by Democrat philosophies.