View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: What are you proud of as an American?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Freedom of Speech" does not mean you can say anythning you want and not be criticized for saying it. All the constitution says is that the government cannot make a law restricting your right to speak your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
An important point.

The term "free speech" gets thrown around alot. The problem is that "free speech" implies that speech is completely free, which it isn't. If it was truly free, there would be no consequences - but there are. By using your right to speak, you allow others to react to it, and they can do so by taking advantage of their right to speak.

You have the right to open your mouth. You do not have the right to tell someone "[censored] you" and not get punched.

I guess I'm just restating what you said [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no positive right to anything to a private organization. To private individuals, we don't have a right to "free speech". The Bill of Rights was intended to limit the federal government only, not private individuals. That's where mistakes like "Net Neutrality" and the "Fairness Doctrine" come in when you apply it to private entities.