View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Patriots vs. NFC Pro Bowl Team, Who ya got?

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to keep out players that are done for the year but I could of easily snuck a few in, also this was just off the top of my head so could have easily missed some players.

QB - Favre, Romo, Brees
RB - Peterson, Westbrook, MBIII
FB - ???
WR - Owens, Smith, Fitzgerald, Holt, Boldin, Plaxico
TE - Jason Witten, Jeremy Shockey
LT - Walter Jones
LG - Steve Hutchinson
C - ??? (not birk, not Kruetz)
RG - Shawn Andrews
RT - Chris Samuels

Pats have the edge at QB, Moss is better than anybody from NFC but the rest of the depth is obviously worse. Pats have a large deficit at RB and Oline despite having super good Oline.

DE - Aaron Kampman
DT - Kevin Williams
DT - Tommie Harris
DE - Osi Umenyiora
OLB - Ware
MLB - Urlacher
OLB - Peterson
CB - Clements, R. Barber
CB - D. Hall, Al Harris
FS - S. Taylor
SS - A. Wilson

Devin Hester for KR / PR

Defense is clearly better, they got them outmatched in O + D + STeams.

NFC wins but I'd imagine the Pats could put up a fight as they have a good edge at coaching no matter who the NFC Head Coach is. NFC +10

[/ QUOTE ]

Depth is where it's at. You cover this with the offense, but defense is a huge advantage as well. The Pats receivers have been great, but try spreading out that secondary when it's Hall or Clements playing the nickel or dime, not happening. In addition, guys like Trent Cole, Shaun Rogers,or Pat Williams would be backups. You could build a line where at least 8 guys could be rotated in without much of a dropoff. The NE line is good, but these guys would just rape them as NE tired out and they stayed fresh. And obviously, no one is matching up against a lineup of Owens, Holt, Smith, and Fitz with Westbrook or Bush coming out of a backfield.