View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: NL50: AJ vs Unknown C/R

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on hero calling the C/R on the flop, what would've been the better way to play this for the villain? I see myself in these situations many times, and know I must understand these things to make me a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes up here every once in a while. How to play KK on an Ace high flop? The best way, i think, is: in absence of particular reads on hero, villain should check-call one street, planning to fold the turn if hero insists. This is considerably cheaper than a flop raise, and almost as accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know this is standard procedure, i.e. check/call w/KK when A hits the flop. However, how will you know whether you are ahead or not? Many people c-bet automatically. Is it just that with a preflop raise, the range probably includes Ax, and so check/calling flop, and seeing if hero persists on turn is +EV?

The fact that hero called the C/R on the flop let villain know he had a good hand. I agree with Baja and Semtex that villain probably ck/rsd flop w/two pr. AT is my guess. And the A on the turn, with weak bet, is to try to get more money from hero.

I've spent about an hour on this one hand as it really touches on what I see as many of the tough decision points in poker.