View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then buy it yourself. Or get together with a bunch of people who agree with you and buy it together. Otherwise you're just waving guns around and imposing your personal preferences through violence. It's pretty non controversial for the Grand Canyon (which is why it'll never be a landfill under AC) but the same reasoning applies to all sorts of unsavoury things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. This is what I call a "democracy of dollars" and I don't see how it is any more defendable from a theoretic standpoint than a "democracy of votes".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because ownership confers legitimacy. Not only that but it is a democracy of votes. You (and everyone else) get to vote for every single product and service every minute of every day through your spending and donating habits.

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer any method besides violence for imposing my preferences, but sometimes in life things come to violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you can impose your preferences though violence why can't I? Why can't anyone? The fact is that under the current system they can. Whoever wrests control of the gun dictates the terms. That's how you get things like the War on Drugs. All logic and evidence points to the fact that it's a colossal waste of time money and human life and yet a certain group of people have control of the gun of the state and are using it to impose their personal preferences onto everyone else. The 0.01% risk that the Grand Canyon will turn into a landfill or that Bill Gates will kill all the hobos isn't worth the 100% chance that people are unnecessarily locked up under horrific conditions every day for non violent victimless "crimes".