View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: What was one way you learned to advance your newbie game skill?

Well I actually disagree with the concept of 'forget about your cards'....I do the exact opposite (especially in a live game). I pretend that for some reason I actually called preflop and try to play my hand postflop in my mind (x bets $100, how would I react to that bet, etc).

I don't get upset that I would have won hands...its more amusing to realize that I would have flopped my bottom two pair and been rivered (great reinforcement to NOT play dumb cards).

It also gives me an excuse to practice my body language and card reading skills, since I'm mentally engaged in the game.

And as far as looking at your cards, don't do it too often. My standard practice is to look once as I receive them, and then to recheck my suits as the flop is being dealt. I'm careful to do this with any hand, even with pocket threes when I really don't care about my suits, just so I don't give away a low-card hand or if I'm suited (easier to remember).

I use a bazillion little games like this to entertain myself at the table, otherwise I'd probably lose focus on what really matters....the poker game.