View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: A Critique of Rothbardian Natural Rights (sorta long)

[ QUOTE ]
This is just a string of ridiculous, nonsense, pointless, grey area null zone scenarios designed to hurt the cause of freedom. Why does anyone anywhere care about the possibility of a photon hitting my door when there are millions dying through the corruption of a bloated evil violent coercive state, trillions of dollars in debt and wasteful spending forcing people to spend half their time working for no pay and hundreds of thousands in gulags being beaten and raped for the mere "crime" of setting fire to a plant and putting it in their mouth. [censored] your stupid laser crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy has written countless articles about the feasibility of private enforcement agencies and various ideas that appeal to ACists. He's making an honest point, and your post just makes you look like another robotic libertarian, spouting slogans.

I think he makes a good and simple point. He's just pointing out reducto Rothbardian libertarianism doesn't square with our instinctive moral intuition at all, and to pretend so leads to philosophical contortions.

I personally don't think absolute natural rights should be enforced. But the market mechanism seems the only tool humans have ever invented for positive-sum gains. As it's so useful, it makes sense to guide our morality by that tool, just as a Native American might have his morality guided by his way of life. That might be a better case for legal libertarian absolutism.

EDIT: I have repeatedly made this point several times.
[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps we should replace a statement about what one should do ("never initiate coercion") with a statement about what objective one should seek ("do whatever minimizes the total amount of coercion").

[/ QUOTE ]