Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question

[ QUOTE ]
If you have more than 8 outs, are you going to the River know matter what and hoping you make your hand?... using the flush draw, if you’re in late position and there’s a call, raise, and reraise.. now what?... if you make your flush you win, but if you miss you lose big… I just know that pot odds/implied odds/BEP come into play here.

Thanks again for the replies…. I’m still learning….

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume that you are talking about NLHE since LHE is a different beast. If you are on the river with 8 outs that means you only have about a 15% chance to win. Not good. Don't keep calling down bets to try and hit your OESD.

When you calculate your outs don't forget to put your opponent on a hand since this is the 2nd half of the pot odds equation. Just because you are getting 4:1 doesn't mean you are at most a 4:1 dog. You could easily be an 8:1 dog. Is the board paired? Your flush outs may now be damaged.

The 2x/4x rule is a great one to learn and use regularly. Practice it on every flop. It's not 100% accurate but it will give you great information and you may find you are in a coin flip when you thought you were a 3:2 dog.

Make sure you know your opponents stack sizes. There's no sense re-raising all in on just a flush draw if you won't be able to pick up a large stack (this is the basis for implied odds). This is a generalization but you'll get more experienced at it.

As for your second question about flush draw late position, call, raise, re-raise: You fold unless you have the nut flush draw and even then you look at the board makeup and at the stack sizes and you still probably fold. You don't have a hand yet so why would you want to get involved with re-raises. You're going to be in a squeeze play with you as the jelly. Over time you'll learn more and more so don't fret it now. There may be times that you'll push that hand so you can isolate the one player.