Thread: 30/60 turn spot
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: 30/60 turn spot

All--

I think that it's completely bonkers not to bet this turn. People call this flop with all sorts of stuff, including many no-pair hands, all of which you want to bet against on this turn. Even bad one-pair hands fold sometimes. And there's the obvious poker-101 reason that you only lose a fraction of a bet when you're called by a better hand. Even getting checkraised isn't terrible.

Quick visualization thing: you don't know any hands, and you see a defense situation where the big blind check-calls a 965 twotone flop and then check-folds an offsuit seven turn. Are you very surprised to see the fold? If not, we should definitely definitely bet the turn.

In short, it takes a heck of a read not to bet this turn. I agree that three-betting is pretty bad, but I can think of a few guys who manage to have checkraising ranges here that consist substantially of hands that fold to a third bet. (Seriously.)

Anyway, I belive that checking behind here under anything near standard conditions is a big mistake.

--Nate