View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

[ QUOTE ]
I often think of everything in relation to the sizes of the infinitness of space and time. This is a big part (if not sole part) of the problem. I have said before that I geniunely believe I would be a happier person if I had 100% faith in god/jesus/heaven etc. but I am not afforded that choice due to the way my brain works.

Would I take it now, given everything I know/feel? Would I take the blue pill? (Was it the blue pill in the matrix? I can't remember) Quite likely I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

No harm in that, really. But reality is not Hollywood and there's no magic pill. Just live it, man. Like I said, you'll be fine. This does happen. I wouldn't take the pill, though, because I treasure complex awareness and the range it offers, and I got through the same situation you're experiencing. While painful, it was worthwhile in my case.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting side question - When my daughter asks me where her dead pet / distant relative went, what do I tell her? I was told heaven as a small child, and never really thought about it - is this the same as Santa Claus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no and this is a very individual issue. I'd tell her something consistent with how you would raise her, as one of the responsibilities of a parent is to instill morals and a belief system.

If you and your wife aren't Christians, simply tell her the truth, that it's something even adults don't know either. And that's basically true because we don't, and she'll have one less white lie to mull over when she becomes a teenager and tackles those issues for herself. People rarely, even as parents, give their children enough credit for understanding basic concepts.

If she persists with the issue, it means it's something she really wants to know about, so set aside the valuable time to explain the concepts as best you know how. The earlier she understands that, the better off she'll be in facing such issues with consistency.