View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: ooops i made another stupid bet

This is definitely a situation tailor-made for grease-the-groove. If you do body-building stuff, I doubt you'll improve much on your strength in two weeks. Or regardless what you do really. GTG though could actually do something, but since you need a bench for it, unless you're willing to live at the gym for two weeks or have a bench at your house, you'd have to find different ways to do it and then hope for some carryover.

Closest thing I can think of for someone who doesn't have a gym in their house would be handstand push-ups. You don't have to do complete ones, and simply doing holds in one position could help a lot too. You can even leave a foot (or two) on the ground if you need to, with your back up against a wall.

The exercise that comes first to mind for most would probably be dips but they aren't as hard as handstand push-ups, and if you're going to try GTG, you need to do something that pushes your strength limits really hard. You're probably a lot less likely to overwork yourself on handstand push-ups too.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I had only two weeks to improve my strength. Maybe add in some holds for dips, being careful not to overwork yourself. Five or six days a week, five times a day, one set, five reps or less and even one rep is okay, as hard and heavy as you can do, or at least 85% of the way there. You won't be sore, won't have to spend any real time working out, and can get a big boost in strength very quickly. But don't expect to gain much mass doing GTG.

Also, no drinking and get plenty of sleep. You need to max your recovery potential, even though GTG doesn't put much strain on it at all.