View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Moral Hypothetical

[ QUOTE ]
(A) Forbid the company from completing the task.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a certainty that at least 3 lives will be lost. Not a probability, a certainty. This is important.

For example, I think that most of us would agree that the Race to the Moon was a worthwhile endeavor. I believe that there was a high probability that one or more pilots would die; in fact one did (and it could have been prevented). The benefits of the space race, however, outweighted the potential loss of life and thus it went forward.

Here, the only stated benefit would be a monetary gain, and no benefit outside of the company is apparent. In addition, the task will definately leave 3 people dead. Without any further information, I don't see how this can go forward.

I do acknowledge that the employees have consented, but this poses a problem in itself. At the very least, I would argue that if one were to volunteer their life, the potential tradeoff would have to provide a greater potential for saving lives. Otherwise, one does not have the moral right to dispose of themselves without the potential for a greater gain.