View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Tried to steal...flopped a monster...screwed it up?

I think you make a mistake preflop by raising to t$4000, on the grounds that against a half decent player you're probably not taking this down without a stronger raise - you give him very good odds to call.

I'm not sure I see the merit in check-calling. I'm fairly sure this is one of those situations where you're unlikely to extract a great deal of value unless you lead out the flop. Because his likely range is so wide, he may well have flopped the sort of hand he is likely to call along with - top pair, straight draw, FD, 66 etc. You might get lucky and find him re-raising with 88 or something like that. The other advantage of leading the flop is that, depending on your image, this looks like the sort of flop you'll have missed most of the time, and he might raise you - though that's unlikely given the fact that he'll pot commit himself in so doing.

As played, I hate the check-raise. As a means of getting chips in the pot it's awful because there's almost no holding that villain will minbet and then either call or shove over a check-raise. So after you check, calling is probably correct, on the grounds that it might encourage him to bluff later streets. I do agree with your final assessment that he has nothing and can't play further - but his weak flop lead should give you a clue about this in general.

In summary, lead the flop because there a lot more hands that he can call a flop bet with than hands which he can call a check-raise with.