View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Negative persona (mask) inhibits learning

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Our options are reject, accept, and hold. I claim that ‘hold’ is the most important and should be the most often used because everyone is ignorant of almost everything.

Do you accept, reject, or hold judgment regarding my claim?

[/ QUOTE ]
No "hold" required. What you seem to be advocating is that we should not form a judgment until we've read all the theories of homeopathy and tested every claim for every illness that it's supposed to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you have misunderstood my post. What I am suggesting is "that holding a default position of ‘reject or accept’, when we are ignorant, is not smart because our ego will fight any attempt to modify the opinion with a later judgment. Silence, or questions directed at comprehending the matter under consideration, is the smart decision for everyone’s default position."

[/ QUOTE ]
What does "when we are ignorant" mean? By many standards I'm ignorant of all the topics I mentioned, yet I put them in the reject box.

In my experience when people are truly ignorant (i.e. know nothing at all) of a topic, they do exactly as you describe. I guess I'm unsure if what you're advocating is any different to what most people actually do.

So unless you disagree with that, you're ultimately arguing that people are too quick to accept or reject. Who determines what's too quick? Where do you think the line should be set?