View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: *Official Euro 2008 Qualifying Thread*

[ QUOTE ]
Enough about England, lets look at the teams that made it and their seedings for the draw on Dec. 2 in Vienna:

Pot 1: Switzerland (hosts), Austria (hosts), Greece (holders), Netherlands

Pot 2: Croatia, Italy, Czech Republic, Sweden

Pot 3: Germany, Romania, Portugal, Spain

Pot 4: Poland, France, Turkey, Russia

Possibility of a real "group of death" with Netherlands, Italy, Germany and France all in the same round robin group.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts on best team from each pot:
1: Greece
Yeah whatever, I think it's close but they play a good and compact system and are easier to "overlook" than the Dutch. I'd hate to play them.

2: Imo the strongest pot. I like all 4 teams but overall I think the Czechs are a little stronger than the rest. Italy hasn't been all that impressive after the WC but their style is perfect for tournaments.

3: This is a funny pot. Rumania, Portugal, Spain are all teams I'd concider to somewhat lack the mindset for a big tourney. Germany played strong during the WC and during the qualifiers (they dropped the tempo a little after they were through) but overall I think it's the easy pick from this pot.

4: Hard for me to judge as I didn't see many games from either team but I think France will be slightly overrated. Turkey has the ability to either implode or explode, depends a lot on how they start and if they can get the emotions going. They will definitely be one of the most present nation when it comes to fan support. I think Poland lacks experience and overall firepower. They underperformed at the WC and I expect the same to happen at the Euros. I think Russia will be the team which depends the most on how they play game 1. Overall I'd pick France.