View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Re: AA waits till turn

[ QUOTE ]
Not waiting 'til the turn here would require special read/history for me.

Another consideration is future hands. You'll usually have wiffed this flop and will be peeling with overs/backdoor draws. If you pump it on the flop everytime you have an overpair your flop action gives your hand away. Against observant players this results in being outplayed in future spots like this. There are two ways around this:
1) Raise the flop with overs sometimes
2) Wait for the turn with overpairs

In my experience 1) results in being called down and losing a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about this hand the more I really hate a raise on the flop. It's like telling you opponents: hey I have an overpair and now that you all know you can play accordingly and charge me maximum if you beat me and get away cheaply if you don't. If you're the kind of player that would raise AQ on this flop you can raise an overpair and still get action but if you usually peel this flop with overs then a raise gives your hand away completely.

Raising on the turn makes it harder for villains to read you hand since they may think the turncard helped you. But if you call flop and it goes bet-call on the turn and the turn card connects with the flop you should probably not raise.