View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: An actually interesting Teacher-Student problem.....

[ QUOTE ]
adan,

I thought the same thing. The system I had in mind (this came over a few sessions of hitting the fine hobbit leaf so details are a bit hazy) involved large "main classes" that would be supervised by multiple teachers, and then being split into much smaller classes for maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of the day. These smaller classes would deal with much more specific subjects, students would be given problems to work on/think about, and much of the work would be done in groups in these "main classes" under general supervision.

In theory this would allow for smaller classes, more specialized instruction, but not necessarily a much larger demand for teachers (just better teachers).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good idea, and I've never heard anything like it before. You could even have one teacher all of one year, early in the schooling. Say 2nd-6th grade you rotate through each of the 5 teachers for a full year. Starting at 7th, it's more like you describe above. From somewhere 2nd to 6th grade, a kid is going to like one of their teacher. That would be the one that they would naturally talk to when they're having issues. And because there's more to "chose" from, the destructive teachers have less of an effect.

Very interesting.