View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: RYANCMU teaches struggling NL50 and NL100 players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll elaborate more later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear more on this subject.

I think it is one of the toughest situations, when you are out of position and you missed the flop.

If your opponent is a nit, you can just check/fold, but if they are loose and there are draws on the board how do you play the turn and river out of position?

Also do you try to balance your play by checking the turns with your strong hands after cbetting the flop? I sometimes do this but there are so many more weak hands than strong ones I don't know if it's worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People as a whole i think cbet way to much at SSNL, especially in reraised pots. It's very exploitable. Especially, OOP.

For example, we 3town a steal attempt from a TAGish button, he is going to be calling w/ a somewhat reasonably wide and range and he will be floating a fair amount of flops w/ lots of hands. In situations where we totally miss this flop and in situations where we hit this flop hard, it is important to not always be cbetting. Since often, when we don't have a hand its going to take probably 2 barrels to push him off his hand, and depending on the board, it could be tough to fire a second barrel and we open ourselves up to getting outplayed if we are always cbetting here. Conversely, we also need to be balancing that by checking our good hands, so that they can't get comfortable assigning us ranges when we check flops after being the aggressor preflop.

We also, need to get good at analyzing board texture and how we perceive that it would hit our opponents hand, and how they think it will have hit our hand.

For example, if I know that my opponent is capable of making moves and floating flops. I'm going to be much less likely to fire a cbet and a subsequent turn bet on drawy or coordinated boards, unless I have a hand that I plan on showing down. Since the chance of them floating me on the flop, taking it away on the turn when checked to is so great, along with the fact that they are capable of making moves so they could be bluff raising scare cards that come in on turns (if like the OESD came in).

If we know someone likes to float a lot of flops and is pretty aggressive on the turn, obv. we can be c/r'ing lots of turns. And depending on board texture, this line often looks very scary (if the board is not very drawy, this is a very strong looking line) so we can be balacing this action by throwing in bluff c/r's on the turn as well as doing it with our made hands. And they will need very strong hands to call, and they aren't going to have the upper ends of thier range that often, so its very profitable.

On rivers, if draws have missed and our opponent is capable of bluffing the river, we obv. can be c/c'ing lots of rivers. If they have called two barrels previously on a dry board, depending on our hand we can be valuetowning the river or we can sometimes be c/r'ing the river and extracting even more.

As you are making your postflop decisions in these spots, run down this mental checklist...

-Opponent type (TAG, LAG, tard)
-Opponent range
-Specific opponent reads/tendencies (You should have notes on most regulars) IF you don't have notes some things to look at are; WTSD, W$sd, Raise Cbet, Turn and river agression.
-Board Texture
-What range am I repping

There is no real simple cut and dry solution for every situation. You just need to learn to use the information you have and make the best decisions you can. Anyone can do it and play very very well, its just tough to force yourself to constantly go through the motions and think it through.