Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Newbie Question

These are somewhat difficult questions to answer, but when you understand them and play poker seriously, they become second nature.

#1 - Counting outs is simple. You have to have a read on the villain before you can count your outs. Assuming a A46 board with you holding 75, you're going to assume villain has an ace (not always the right read - but it's read dependent) which your 7 or 5 cannot beat should that come on the turn or river, so you're drawing to the straight to beat his pair of aces. Thus a 3 and an 8 would make your straight, so you have 8 outs, 4 threes and 4 eights. That's best way to describe it - you can't put a way to count them other than counting them to getting a hand to beat what your read on your opponent is.

#2 - I don't play limit live much, so I can't answer this really.

#3 - Not sure again here

#4 - Now this is pretty difficult. There really is no simple way to calculate things quickly in your head other than practice, practice, and more practice. When you realize you have a flush draw against a TPTK hand, you know your odds because you've been in that predicament so many times and know what you need to call getting the right odds or not. It is a game of guessing most of the time, because you do not have the time to go put it into PokerStove or an odds calculator. Most pro players get very good at knowing certain hands as I said, nut flush or straight vs. TPTK sorto f hands, and knowing the odds they need. Just need to practice.