View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Default AKo in the SB against a large field - early in MTT

(This is my first ever hand post to 2+2 - please let me know if I'm out of line anywhere on my hand history!)

Live MTT. Buy-in was $50+$10, no rebuys or add-ons. 131 players entered, t800 chips, 5/10 blinds to start. Blinds are now 15/25, and at least 110 players are remaining. I have approximately t1300 after doubling up with KK vs. JJ. My image is probably fairly tight - other than the KK hand, I've really only one playable hand which I folded on the flop.

There were a few tight players, and some real LAGtards. There were five limpers to me in the SB. I look down at A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I called, planning to check-raise most flops that hit me, and fold against the large field if I missed. BB checks, pot was t175.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, and surprisingly, it checks around.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I checked, planing on check-raising. MP bets t100. I barely have the player covered, but no real read yet on their play. The field folds to me, and I raise to t400. The remaining field folds to the MP bettor. After a long thought, MP calls. Pot = t975, I have t875 behind.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I shove, and MP asks for time before finally calling.

A couple of questions...

1) Was my preflop call good here, versus raising?
2) I'm very comfortable about my play on the flop, but what about the check-raise on the turn? I figure the strength of my hand would be disguised, and I'd still have outs if I was behind. Is the betting outright preferable to the check-raise here?

Thanks for your input!