Thread: Sicko Revisited
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Sicko Revisited

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are wrong because there are many people in Canada who do not have jobs, can not work due to medical illness or some other such reason, and all of these people get healthcare. They do not pay. I pay for them. Therefor, not everyone pays to go to the doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier...

[ QUOTE ]
I find the idea of paying to go to a doctor to be ludicrous

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really think that original statement would be taken so literally. I'm fully aware that I pay for healthcare. I don't have to worry about going broke paying for some treatment if I happen to get very sick. Neither does anyone else. I like that.

I think I'll stick to strat forums as these arguments over semantics of statements are a little too pedantic for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL are you serious? These arguments are BELOW you? I think you've got it a little bit backwards. These arguments might be a bit over your head. When you say you find the idea of paying for a doctor to be ludicrous, that is a statement that demands clarification. You seem to be under the impression that "the state" is some magical fairy entity that grants wishes and "satisfies your basic human rights" without you ever having to defend your choice of what those human rights are. It is EXTREMELY problematic to claim that healthcare is a basic human right. The reason for that? SOMEONE has to provide healthcare to you. You cant get it yourself. The same problem with food, but to a lesser extent. If you support a BASIC HUMAN RIGHT that demands some other person provide you with some service, there are logical implications to this.

Stop me when this is getting pedantic.