View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

[ QUOTE ]
Fortuna,

Drinking = Smoking. Discuss.

That is not a throw away comment BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like cigarettes. That's all there is to the habit, really. It doesn't carry the dangers of long-term alcohol abuse. It's surprisingly effective in its destruction. Pot is a more complex situation and varies by individual. It doesn't agree with me anymore.

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate everything you say, however I believe it may be a bigger issue for me as I remember the first time I cried because I was gonna die was when I was twelve (I think) when Freddie Mercury died, my mum's hero. I really look up to people like you, and madnack and Phil, that can look at life logically and not be phased by the fact that in 1000 years nothing you do counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was 4. Figured it out on my own, and threw a tantrum. Unlike those two, I don't always look at life logically. I prefer to think on much vaster timescales than they do. I'm just pragmatic in that I cannot avoid my own death and figure if there's a solution, it's already there.

I don't mean transhumanism or the optimistic hope that the singularity will occur. It reeks a bit of escapism and denial to me, but more power to them if they get it done.

[ QUOTE ]
I Know that everything I do counts for my daughter (eg) and that it matters 100%. I do everything possible to raise my kids the best way I can. A good analogy is of the 1,000,000 starfish on the beach all drying out in the sun. I care for the starfish I can, but that doesn't make my life any more significant, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is what you make it out to be, how important your life is. How important you value having a fulfilling role in your daughter's life, and her quality of life. Being a great father to her goes a long way towards increasing that. Having the motivation to do so won't be easy some days, but there's probably a feedback effect, the happier and more content she is, the more you will be.

It's not something you can point to, for another person, there's no 'aha' solution about it. What you can take solace in is that it's probably the most difficult problem you'll ever have to resolve on your own. Most people either give up on it or would rather not think about it at all, and you're seeing why.