View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: L/C Help me. Lack of an afterlife leads me do depression.

I had an ex with this problem. I couldn't solve it so I'm sure I can't solve yours. It's strange how many girls have talked to me about being suicidal, wanting to kill themselves because they think no one likes them or they can't function in the world and so on. And yet the girl who was depressed about the fact that she would die one day I found far more depressing.

I don't know why I have no fear of death. I'm not really sure that I believe it's an end to consciousness. But I'm not confident that it's not and the thought doesn't scare or depress me.
[ QUOTE ]
Ceasing to exist is the absolute worst thing that can happen to a sentient being.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with this at all. It may be true for some, but I'd rather not exist than exist in misery.

This line of thinking about consciousness can lead to some interesting thought experiments. E.g.
What is 'me'? Why is 'my' consciousness this body or 'in' this body? If my parents had not had sex or had sex at a different time would 'I' be someone else? It's hard to verbalize my thoughts on consciousness, but they do make me skeptical of there being no self that exists independent of the body. Most here will probably disagree.