View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Tried to steal...flopped a monster...screwed it up?

I think the preflop raise is ok if he's been limping a lot, but it is too small. He is getting almost 3-1 to call and has position. You both have enough of a stack that any limping hand should be ok with calling without being committed to going all the way. I would have raised to about 6000 and if he calls, you have 19K chips left with and about 14-15K in the pot. This is just enough that if an ace or non-threatening flop hits, you can shove but if not, can still get away from it. In the instance of flopping the monster as you did, you could check and hopefully induce a big bet from him.

As played, I think a slowplay to the river is best, unless the third club hits on the turn. I don't worry much about a flush draw at this point...considering he bet 1200 into a 10k pot, he probably doesn't know a whole lot about the pot odds regarding a flush draw and you probably won't get him off it anyway. There is a lot more value in getting into an eventual all-in situation that there is worrying about the flush. Even if he did make one on fourth street, you still would have 10 redraw outs.