View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Came Across an Interesting Book...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hear the 8 track player is gonna make a comeback. Why am I getting the urge to sell you a truckload of them at a great price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since you're soon to be one of the most biblically knowledgable atheists in the world you can thank me in heaven if you manage to act on scripture enough to get there. I hear heaven is wired for surround sound so I pass on your most generous offer to provide me with 8 track tapes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably kidding, but I really am doing some reading. Right I'm on a book about historical Jesus. It's really quite fascinating! Did you know that no one who knew him ever wrote anything down? It was all passed on as stories from one person to another until someone finally decided to write something at least 60 years after his death. And even then, it wasn't until many, many, many years later until a non-Christian wrote anything about Jesus.

The bottom line is that not only isn't there any credible evidence he was divine, but there's no evidence at all that he even claimed to be divine! Several accounts tell of Jesus speaking about the "Son of Man", but never did he refer to himself as the "Son of God" (although he refer to God as the father).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'd have to go back to the OT and read some passages. "Son of Man" is probably an OT pseudonym for the Messaiah, but check out what Peter says in the New Testament regarding Jesus's divinity.

I believe I read somewheres as regards religious texts that many religions that pre-dated Christianity had even longer gaps between the writing of their texts than the gap in the writing of the New Testament. On top of that biblical scholars differ on the actual dating of the Gospels. Some date it earlier than others.