View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
i ask again, why shouldn't immigrants have to learn english?

why should they?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://immigration.findlaw.com/articles/2911.html
[ QUOTE ]
The Eligibility Criteria

If you are interested in applying for U.S. citizenship, first make sure that:

* you have lived in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least five years (with exceptions; for example, the time period changes to four years if you got your green card through an application for political asylum, and to three years if you got your green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen and you are still married to and living with the citizen. There are other exceptions for refugees and U.S. military personnel.)
* you have been physically present in the United States for at least half of the last five years (or half of the last four or three years, if you qualify under one of the exceptions above)
* you have lived in the district or state where you are filing your application for at least three months
* you have not spent more than a year outside the United States
* you have not made your primary home in another country
* you are at least 18 years old
* you have good moral character (in particular, this means that you have not been convicted of a crime, have not failed to pay taxes, and have not failed to register for the draft)
* you are able to speak, read, and write in English
* you are able to pass a test covering U.S. history and government, and
* you are willing to swear that you believe in the principles of the U.S. Constitution and will be loyal to the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it seems to me if someone can't speak english that is evidence right there that they are not US citizens. (however there are certain exceptions, like if applicant is over 50 I believe, they may not have to know english.)