View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: getting fast cars in automatic....

[ QUOTE ]
i know how to drive manual, but its a pain in the ass when you're in traffic, hills parallel parking, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're missing the forest for the trees. The important part is having that particular skill. If you live in SF, or really any big city where most of your traffic is SNG, etc, then I completely sympathize with choosing an auto even though manual is more fun.

But that choice should come through experience and education, not ignorance. When it costs so little to learn to drive a manual, why would anyone live the rest of their life not knowing?

Edit: miajag,

I'm pretty pro-manual. I enjoy driving more with that transition. However, the few times I get stuck in traffic, I get really frustrated really quick. If I move to a city where that's my commute, I imagine I'll change over. Still: Why would that be the crux in a car buying decision? If you're going to buy a car, shouldn't the decision hinge on other things? I guess maybe OP values not learning to drive a manual at however much extra he pays, but he's making that decision not knowing how much driving a manual is worth over the course of his life, which is much longer than the life of the car.

Again, that's fine, but it seems odd to me to make that kind of call without at least spending half a day learning a lifelong skill.